Thursday, March 26, 2020

Integrating journals.

Along Laramie River Road.
This is the working text for the original layout and design of the blog.

Places, Then and Now, is the organizing blog for the website for the Colorado Institute of Historical Geography.

I've been keeping online journals for years, according to my evolving interests, readings, research. Over time the number of these journals/blogs has grown. As I reflect back on all of them, I come to see the overlap between them.

Though they grew separately, the formatting for them was obviously created by the same mindset, the same esthetic. Color schemes were harmonious amongst them; font styles were similar or identical. Use of imagery was consistent, language was clearly written by the same person.

Recognizing the similarities and the overlap in content, now in May of 2020 I am launching into an process of integration. Blogger technology invites it. My continuing interest in simplification as a life-organizing principle nourishes it. Now it's time to move forward.

As a first step, I'm importing the contents of each of the pre-existing blogs into Places, Then and Now. I'll create a searchable label for each imported entries, to continue for a while distinguishing what was written earlier and independently.

I wonder how much I will find myself editing the contents of various earlier entries, to reflect my present view of the world and my goals for this single version. My running blog, for instance, reflected my younger age; as I have mellowed with age, it has evolved into a walking blog. The goals are the same, the mindset is the same, but my choice of activity is different. Will I find it interesting or helpful to blog about that shift even more than I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. We'll get back with you as soon as possible.

Michael.

It starts with the earth.

Driving into our high mountain plateau, one is first struck by the monoliths. Granite outcroppings dot the valleys and canyons, erupting lik...