Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bono: I often wonder.


Distributed on Facebook by a group called Unfundamentalist Christians.

Bono. 

As an afterthought it occurs to me that I need to comment on this here. This journal is intended as a personal exploration of ideas, in a format I can access from anywhere I happen to be, a format that combines ideas and images, a format I can build on over time. I recognize it as a social platform, but am not using it as such. I don't much care if others see it, but it isn't aimed at anyone except myself. In the unlikely event that someone stumbles on my ramblings and evolving thoughts--Google specializes in unlikely events--it's important that this posting be seen in its context.

I'm exploring the entire and complex range of relationships between Religion, Belief and whatever we mean when we say Spirituality. I understand Bono's observation here, and understand further that many people have been hurt, devastated, by their encounters with religious life and religious people.

Yet looking at the widest possible picture I can conjure about the role of religion in our lives, I can't say I often wonder about its misuse. I simply see those abuses as a reality, a matter of human history.

Like everything on earth, religion can be misused and used for abuse.

No one doubts the importance of water for life. Do we condemn it because it can do unfathomable damage in a flood or tornado, or is used as a coercive instrument in waterboarding?

The forces of nature are powerful beyond imagination. Vast social forces can push the limits of human control. The human genius for horror knows no bounds.

I share Bono's sympathies here in order to recognize the history of abuse of religion. As time goes along I'll continue to share like thoughts. It's an ugly reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. We'll get back with you as soon as possible.

Michael.

It starts with the earth.

Driving into our high mountain plateau, one is first struck by the monoliths. Granite outcroppings dot the valleys and canyons, erupting lik...